Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sola Gratia: by Grace Alone

Taking the aforementioned discussions into account (tradition, rule of faith, the Apostle’s Creed, and the “Harrowing of Hell”) it’s time to take the conversation deeper with specific doctrines and subjects. Grace is where my statement of faith begins and ends; for this reason, grace is the quintessential compass of my theology. My faith is founded upon the cross and rooted in grace – Sola Gratia (by grace alone). I reject the notion that my actions affect salvation; the roots of that theory come from a school of thought known as Pelagianism and fifteen centuries later it still influences the church. I could spend all day talking about how I cannot stand the personal accountability insinuations taken from so long ago and adapted by the Evangelical church of present day; instead, I will simply refute it and recognize that it is a system I once tried and it failed me considerably. Grace, no matter how much it does not make sense, is the only way to warrant the salvation of any human being. I am with Augustine, in that, grace is a gift from God that humanity does not merit or deserve. Conversely, I, unlike Augustine, believe in the universal nature of grace thanks to my Old Testament studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment