Sunday, February 13, 2011

Preface: A Statement of Purpose and Intent

The attribution of disbelief is like a festering cancer that is in need of surgical extraction. Years ago, people would ask me why I believed in Jesus Christ; no matter how many times I have been asked this question, I have always sought to deliver an answer – even if the answer has changed time and time again over the years. Now, I have been faced with an intellectually more in depth question; what do I believe and why do I believe it? As with the former question, my answers, herein, have changed over the years and will, no doubt, change over the years to come. For this project, I am going to engage in the art of Theology (the study of God) to critically and concisely address the most common questions surrounding what I believe and why I believe it to be that way.

Critics of this project suggest that, this theological discourse is a waste of my time because my views will change after I read a few more books or live a while longer. In a rare concession on my part, I believe my critics are correct. Yet, in another rare event, I believe that the critics or skeptics who have questioned my beliefs deserve an answer. It is my hope that this document will prove that I do believe many things theologically, philosophically, biblically, and religiously. Nonetheless, stating my beliefs in regards to the selected topics below will bring about new critics and criticisms. Thus, I invite a good conversation because my Biblical Scholarship and study of theology has taught me that the more I learn the less I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment