Sunday, February 13, 2011

Regula Fidei: In the Footsteps of Tradition

In order to begin a proper discussion and address of the theological matters contained in this document there are a few things I have to acknowledge before I may proceed with the issues themselves. I do not make one theological assertion without tradition. For, “If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants” (Isaac Newton [originally from Bernard of Chartres]). I accept the teachings originated by Irenaeus on the “rule of faith,” which asserts that, “The church had faithfully proclaimed the same gospel from the time of the Apostles until the present day” (Alister McGrath). And, I believe the words of the Apostles Creed.

I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell. On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment